Didn't you realize that my purpose here is to be involved in my Father's business? Luke 2:49





Thursday, April 1, 2010

Love is Expensive


As I prepare for my trip, I am being rudely reminded of the costliness of loving.

I have been scurrying around, trying to get all sort of loose ends tied up and trying to make sure I have bought all the various do-dads and gizmos I need to take. I haven’t yet dared add up all the stuff I have put on that credit card – never mind the price of the airline tickets themselves!

Very early on, as I began to be involved in disaster-response ministries, I realized that disaster response is ALWAYS expensive. One may try to be as good a steward as possible with cost containment, but there is just no way around the fact that disasters are expensive. And disaster response is really expensive.

I suppose that fact should be especially obvious to us this weekend, shouldn’t it?

Easter weekend marks our remembrance of God’s amazing response to humanity's ultimate disaster.

Easter weekend reminds us that God, in Jesus Christ, paid an almost incredible price when He sent Jesus, the “lamb slain before the foundation of the world,” as His Ultimate Disaster Response.

The Bible says He did it simply because He “loved the world so much.”

Things haven’t changed. Disaster response is still terribly expensive, and we still do it because of God’s love.

Because He loved us, we can love. But we do so knowing that love is always expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment