Didn't you realize that my purpose here is to be involved in my Father's business? Luke 2:49





Saturday, April 10, 2010

Saturday – Open Doors

One of my main purposes here has been to take advantage of my gray hair and former military rank of captain (which is tremendously important in this society) to build relationships with local leaders. Our team had been discussing and praying about this, and we had a clear idea how we intended to proceed. This morning, Pastor Abraham, who had been preparing our way with the local chiefs and police officials came to take us to start out round of official visits.


Nothing went as expected. God had much better plans, and He had prepared our way before us! He truly did “far more abundantly than we could ask, or even imagine.”

We intended to visit the local chief first. Instead, we wound up “running into” the military commander first! And what a visit! We were able to talk for some time, and then pray with the commander, his 1st Lieutenant and his company clerk. It helped tremendously that he is a captain, so we met as “equals.”

Next, we met with the police chief (who is also a captain) and his entourage, with equally exciting relationship results.

From there, we went to find the town chiefs collected and waiting on us. They were especially warm in their welcoming response. It is clear that God has been preparing this town and this area for His own purposes, and He has allowed us the incredible privilege of playing some part in the process.

It is amazing to see, is very practical and immediate ways, how the Lord is putting together my age, my military experience (which I have generally thought to have been pretty unimportant) and my African experience and education. They all are coming together to enable me to make exactly the appropriate speeches to the different audiences and to begin establishing the relationships needed here.

I have been given a Dinka name: Mangar. Dinka men’s names all relate to various color patterns among their cattle. I am told that Mangar is one of the most valuable and desirable.

Today, the chiefs told us that they were greeting us, not as friends, but as brothers, and that my name here would be Peter Mangar Akot, meaning that I am considered to have been born here in Akot.

Jermaine, Andrew and I came away from our morning of meetings in a state of awe for the way God had opened all the doors we needed opened! We wait in anticipation of what He will do next.

1 comment:

  1. Peter,

    It is such a delight for you to share how the Lord's imagination is so much greater than our own - and His solutions are so full of Grace, even though we might lack the complete understanding of His ways.

    After reading your descriptions and seeing your photos, each time I think of your mission and begin to pray, my head is filled with such wonderful, vivid pictures of what you are doing, and Who you are doing it for.

    And then, not as an afterthought, but like a cherry on a sundae-I see that wonderful picture your sister had on her blog of your mother with a small African baby in her arms, and I think of what a wonderful childhood you must have had in Africa with your mother and father and sister, and I am happy you have a chance to return to do a little more of the Lord's work.

    In Christ,

    Marti Smith

    ReplyDelete