Didn't you realize that my purpose here is to be involved in my Father's business? Luke 2:49





Sunday, April 25, 2010

Commander and Chiefs

Thursday
Jermaine and Andrew returned from their bush trip, and we drove down the airstrip from the hospital to the army encampment to meet with the commander.


Akot has its own tiny airstrip – just about right for a piper cub, but used occasionally by various mission and relief flights. The airstrip also serves as a roadway, and entering sideroads have stop signs to warn drivers to look for incoming aircraft before driving onto the runway. I have yet to see anyone even slow down for the signs.


The military commander and his staff were ready to see us, and we had a pleasant meeting after we assured him that we were not there to complain of anything – just to present ourselves and show our respects.


The commander is Nuer – as opposed to the local majority Dinka – and had the most amazing markings that completely covered his face. I would have loved to take a photograph, but one does not safely take out a camera around the military here. I was never sure of his actual rank, but I think he is probably a full colonel, or possibly a brigadier. He is said to be in command of all the troops in Lakes State.



Friday
I spent the time writing and talking with some of the local pastors. I have become especially close to Abraham, Peter and Shadrak. There is in their demeanor a beautiful evidence of the workings of God in their lives. I will miss them. They have taught me a whole fresh chapter on faith.


In the afternoon, Jermaine, Abraham and I went to call on the local chiefs so I could tell them “goodbye.” They were most gracious, and they very much appreciated the respect I paid them by going to greet them. I think the goodwill I earned with them will be payable to Jermaine and Andrew and the local pastors after I leave.



Saturday
Jermaine took me to the Baptist Mission compound in Rumbek. I will try to tell you later about something we saw on the way, but I will need to write it from somewhere else.


Both Mark and Kathy, the resident missionaries, are sick with either flu or malaria, and they have bouts of feeling well enough to carry on conversation. They have been in Africa for a long time, both here and other interesting places. They have been wonderful to look after the Mission “journeymen” and “Fusion” teams that have been in the area. With Mark and Kathy’s support, the young Journeymen and Fusion students have done an amazingly successful and worthwhile work here.


Sunday
It had been arranged for me to preach to two services at a local Pentecostal church. It was a delight to be with them. I tried to record some of the singing on my tiny digital recorder, but I fear the quality will not hold the joyful beauty of the praising voices. I preached from the beginning verses of 3 John, where the Apostle prays that his friend Gaius will, in all things, “prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.”


The first service was in English, targeted to the non-local English speaking Christians, mostly from Kenya and Uganda. The second service is partially in English, but it is also translated into Dinka. The two groups make entirely different audiences, and it was fascinating to me to hear myself preaching what amounted to two very different sermons to the two groups.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us about your experiences to, from and in Sudan. We are thankful for the groundwork and goodwill you helped establish. Continue to follow God's plans, He will accomplish His purpose even though it may not be just as we had planned it.

    ReplyDelete