Didn't you realize that my purpose here is to be involved in my Father's business? Luke 2:49





Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Getting On With My Father's Business


The summer after my first year of college, I was looking for a job. My mother, who was then, after my father's death, completing her ObGyn residency at the Mayo Clinic, came to me and told me how sorry she was that, because of her situation, she did not have any connections to help me land a job, and she had no “family business” that could hire me.

Many years later, after I had been in the ministry for some time and had gotten involved in disaster response, it suddenly hit me: I am in the family business! In a very real way, I am frequently allowed to participate in the same kinds of both spiritual and physical caring for hurting people as did my parents.

Better than that, however, was that I realized that the real “family business” I am in is that of my Heavenly Father, who cares for those hurting people even more than did my parents. He, and His interests, are my reasons for existence.

I have been a pastor for over 30 years. It still amazes me that the Sovereign of the Universe wants to have intimate fellowship with me, and He lets me get in on whatever He happens to be doing.

So now, I am scrambling around getting ready to leave for Southern Sudan on Easter afternoon.












2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog! I like the title & verse that links with it....good stuff!

    Welcome to the world of blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete