Didn't you realize that my purpose here is to be involved in my Father's business? Luke 2:49





Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Was Late This Year

Christmas was late this year. Oh, it got here, but not on the 25th. December 25th arrived, as expected, the day after the 24th. We had a delightful day, with the usual opening of presents and enjoying guests around the dinner table. In the afternoon, our larger-than-usual group caroled its way around the hospital, and that was a special time. But something was missing.


I didn’t think much about it over the next couple of days, but it did cross my mind. There was one gift I had specifically requested from God, and I hadn’t received it. Oh well. My other obvious blessings and pleasures kept my mind busy, and I did not fret. But if I stopped and allowed myself to think about it, that “something” was still missing.

This morning, I was working at my desk when a soft knock came at the front door. I opened the door to find a man holding a rake and looking for work. Didn’t I need him to rake the front yard? Or was there something else he could do? His family had lost its house and was having to live in a small motel room, so he had to do whatever was necessary to earn a little money and keep things together.

The yard really didn’t look too bad, but then… I really hate raking leaves, and he needed the work, so…. I told the man he could rake the leaves. We didn’t discuss price, but I knew even then that I would be paying him more than the job was really worth. Somehow, I already knew that this situation was my Gift.

As the morning continued, I had several occasions to go outside. Each time I had opportunity for a little more conversation with the man with the rake, and each time, I learned a little more about him. Like so many in our community, he couldn’t find work, but he still had rent to pay and children to feed. And each time I looked out the window the man was raking fast and carefully.

I knew about how long it would take him to finish the front yard, so I knew I had a little time. I remembered that I had a couple of shirts, some new work socks, and a few other items that he might find useful. I also asked Patsy if she had some portable food items we could put together. By the time the raker of leaves was finished, we had a couple of nice bags filled and ready to go.

It was then that I asked the man whether he would like something to eat. I already knew he hadn’t had much this morning. He agreed that something to eat would be nice, and I invited him in. Very shortly, we sat down together for a meal of Patsy's Christmas leftovers, and you can be sure that when he pushed back from the table, there was nothing left on his plate but the fork.

During the course of the meal we talked. My new friend spoke very frankly of some of the bad choices he made in his life, and of the difficulties he now faces as he looks for work. I was able to encourage him and, perhaps, point him in some useful directions. It was during lunch, also, that he told me about letting God change his entire approach to life, and that of the doors he had knocked on this morning, only ours had opened.

Then it was time to go. I already knew that with the packages my friend would be carrying, he would need a ride, so I took him in the van to the little motel.

Yes, Christmas was late this year. The Gift I had asked for was that God would send a stranger to join us at our table. The Gift was three days late, but now I have had Christmas.



1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, giving and blessing are the perfect Gift.
    Beautifully written...and lived.

    ReplyDelete